There's so much to find out about Fisheries Training Institute
Fisheries Training Institute, Entebbe was established by an Act of Parliament (Uganda) under the then Ministry of Animal Industry, Game and Fisheries. Its foundation stone was laid on 27th June 1966. The official opening of the Institute was done on 23rd February 1968.This was a Regional Institute and it still stands so today. There were few of such Institutions in Africa. The first trainees were twenty students two of whom were from Botswana and three from Kenya.
To be a centre of excellence in providing fisheries, aquaculture and maritime value chain training and services in the east and central African region.
To provide skills-based education, training and services to our clients in fisheries, aquaculture and maritime sub-sectors.
- To develop and monitor training programmes that are more flexible and responsive to client needs.
- To strengthen the role of the private sector in the institute’s governance and programmes.
- To strengthen the capacity of FTI to provide quality skills to learners.
- To improve the quality assurance system for FTI
- To promote equitable access of disadvantaged groups to skills training.
- To improve systems that are effective for the management of FTI
- To train high level technical, managerial and professional personnel for the Fisheries Sector.
- To generate advanced knowledge and innovations through research and be able to translate or adopt them to local situations in the Fisheries Industry
- To intensify the provision of Public Service through expanded extra mural or extension work and consultancy services in the Fisheries Fields.
- To promote the level of alocal scientific and technological capacity needed for tackling the problems of development in Fisheries.
- To equip the students with the world of work as useful members of their communities and the Nation at large especially being :
We offer Diplomas and Certificates in Fisheries and Agriculture related courses
We admit students from all Nationalities and regions in the country. Contact us for any help
Message from the Principal
Thank you for visiting our website and for taking time to find out what we do here at Fisheries Training Institute (FTI). We are very proud of what the institute has achieved in the past years and what it continues to achieve on a daily basis and i hope that this website can give you a flavor of those achievements.
As we look to the future one thing is certain; knowledge will be a key resource and will be highly sought-after within our nation – Uganda and around the world. Our challenge is to help to generate ideas that will benefit society, and to educate and train people to work in fields where they will be valued both for their specialised knowledge, and for their ability to research, communicate and solve problems.
To find out more about the Institute’s history, our teaching strengths, our diverse networks and our vibrant, cosmopolitan Institute download the Institute’s Profile 2023/2024.
We look forward to welcoming you.
Willy Ofwono Osinde